Life has got back to normal since we got back from our roadtrip and I haven't had any more adventures.
I do however have to report a most worrying phenomenon of even greater concern than Stompy (yeah, SO wasn't happy to return to him on Wednesday): it's called Mega-Max. It's the post-Pennsylvania, ass-kicking journalist version of my lovely husband who SHAVES EVERY DAY, tucks his shirt in, checks his Blackberry at home and gets unsolicited emails from people in the New York office who just so happen to've read his articles and want to meet up if he's ever in town. He's being networked! My Maxos! This is most unsettling.
As was watching 'Baby Mama' tonight, as the opening shot is a big aerial sweep of a city which we instantly recognised as being Phila-freakin'-delphia!! We'd never have recognised it before our bus tour and couldn't quite believe that we were being transported back there by the film.
Hey, but 'Baby Mama' was really funny and Amy Poehler was particularly hilaaaarious. We would very much like to be friends with her and her husband, Will Arnett. Funneeee.
Seeing the movie involved an intrepid expedition to Georgetown on the bus, which I spent about an hour mapping out in minute detail this afternoon and which was executed flawlessly, but for the bus taking 20 mins instead of the 5 that the route planner promised us. But fortunately I built in enough contingency time for this not to be a problem. Wow, I really need a job.
And next week I'll have one! Yesterday, my boss from where I was last working in London called up to ask me to do a week's writing work for him, so that will keep me busy and hopefully bring in a bit of pocket money for another Gap run. Erm, or groceries. Or to retrospectively pay for the massive flagons of gin and rum I bought yesterday which really did put the finishing touches to our flat!
Going into the cinema for 'Baby Mama', we were asked to come back next Tuesday for a test screening of the new Spike Lee film, which is exciting - that never happened to us in London. And it was great when we came out of the movie, because we just wandered around Georgetown for a few minutes looking for somewhere to eat and, not only were lots of people milling around on the pavement in that nice summer evening way, but we immediately found a really nice restaurant and had a great meal. It very much seems to be the DC way. Then we just sauntered home, as the DC way appears to include most places being within walking distance.

No comments:
Post a Comment