Sunday, September 21, 2008

THE WIRE WOZ ROBBED

I've volunteered to help out with Sunday School at church, so went up to the classroom this morning to introduce myself and sit in on a lesson. The kids are very cute and everyone involved seems nice enough, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm probably learning about as much as the children, so have only volunteered to help as a classroom assistant and in fact have only been given I think two shifts between now and when we leave DC, so it's not a massive commitment, but nice to be helping out.

After church, Max and I had to once more sheepishly go round to Anne's house to borrow another DVD boxset. This time, it was Veronica Mars, series 3. Veronica Mars kicks ass. It's about a high school girl who helps her private eye father out after school, while going through all the relationship-y things that high school students do. I gratefully gobbled up most of series 1 on my laptop during the many hours I spent waiting in airports for connecting flights last month, then made swift work of series 2 when I got back to DC and was able to raid Anne and Megan's DVD collection.

However, then something bad happened. Having scoffed at the very premise and not shown any interest in it to start with, Max started spending more time watching it than reading the magazine he'd pretend to be engrossed in while I watched it. This means it is no longer something I can watch during the day at lunchtime - I have to wait for Max to come home, which is reeeeally annoying. It's also really hard to forget that Veronica's dad is played by the guy who plays Elliott, the mook, in 'Just Shoot Me'.

Anyway, it was lovely to see Anne and to sit around hanging out with her on a sunny Sunday morning. Even more lovely was to get home and crack into season 3 of 'Veronica Mars', but we soon realised it was too nice a day to be cooped up, so walked up the road to Kalorama Park, which is really near us but which for some reason we never really go to. Maybe because it's too little. But we don't really need that much space!

It was really lovely and befitting of a lazy Sunday afternoon, to be able to walk to such a nice park just a block away. There was someone working on their laptop under a tree, which put ideas in my head about not being chained to my desk, a couple of girls playing the guitar and banjo and some excellently manic children whizzing round and round on scooters. But it made me sad that it was their nanny who'd brought them to the park, rather than their parents on a Sunday afternoon.

I can't fathom why, but today was the first day all year that we've played frisbee. Oh, it was so fun, because we have a very excellent frisbee, and because neither of us have done any exercise for ages, so it was good to be out in the fresh air, winging a 'bee about. Unfortunately I winged it a little off target, and this is what happened:

whoops

One of the things I was most looking forward to when we moved over here was getting to watch awards ceremonies go out live, instead of having to wait for highlights packages like, three days later. So it was with great excitement that we sat down to watch the Emmys tonight.

It was cool to see all the arrivals on the red carpet and all the pretty dresses, then Anne and Hugh came over for the ceremony. Unfortunately, much like the MTV Movie Awards before them, the Emmys were kind of lame. We don't watch '30 Rock' or 'Mad Men', so couldn't get excited that they won all the awards, especially as I refuse to believe that either of them are better than 'The Wire', which got only two nominations. It's an outrage.

No comments: