Sunday, November 2, 2008

FLAT WOES

WHOOPS! We totally forgot the clocks went back today.

Ugh. The boiler in our flat in London, which our friend Adrian is living in at the moment is apparently not creating any central heating and Adrian and his girlfriend are freezing. What's worse is, when we got the boiler serviced when we bought the moneypit - I mean flat - we were warned that it was past it's 'expiry' date and that if anything went wrong with it, it'd make more sense to replace it than repair it.

So I spent most of yesterday on the phone with Adrian and with our lovely gasman, who happens to live upstairs from our flat and was kind enough to check out what the problem was. I'm still unclear of what's wrong, mainly because I'm blinded by the £1600 it's going to take to replace the boiler.

Max and I are lucky to be living rent-free over here, and having our mortgage covered back in London, but with me not working, there's not piles of extra cash sloshing around. However, we have been able to save a little bit each month for a while and guess how much we've squirreled away? Almost exactly £1600. Byyeeeee!

Ugh. We're actually massively lucky, because Luli (our gasman) is really busy, but is fitting us in in the evenings and weekend next week and has now calculated it'll actually cost over £2000, but is standing by his original quote. What a legend. But what a pain in the butt. Being a grown up sucks!

The news obviously posed as something of a downer on our weekend, but we did have a great webcam chat with our friends Matt and Jilly yesterday, and then Max went to work and I walked into Georgetown, where I raided the place for supplies I'd been turned onto by the card-making course. I'm going to make our Christmas cards this year!

We were meant to be going to a Halloween party with Anne tonight (yes, it's still going!), but didn't feel like it, so stayed home and had Anne over for drinks beforehand instead, which was lovely. Anne had worked out what she wanted to go as to the party, but now how to do it, so we put together her whole entire costume for her, based around a pair of pink trousers that she had. Can you guess what it is yet?

She's a pig in lipstick! That's Maxy's pink shirt and my pink duvet shoes (a staple for any supernoodle). I made her hair look like ears and created an ingenious nose from the base of a plastic cup, then coloured it pink, cut out black tape in the shape of nostrils, tied elastic to it and bingo bango!

'Blue Peter's loss is Anne's gain...

Despite our boiler drama funk, I wish we had gone to the party now, because we stayed in and watched the TERRIBLE 'Heartbreak Kid' on DVD, instead. Ugh, it's SO bad! I don't really know where to begin in explaining why, so will just leave it at: never watch this movie, even on a plane - it's awful! We haven't been doing very well lately... (apart from 'This Is England').

We watched a bit of 'Saturday Night Live' afterwards, and saw Ben Affleck do a HILARIOUS impression of Keith Olbermann, who's one of our favourite political pundits and is famous for his righteous indignation and directly addressing someone who's offended him (John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Bill O'Reilly...) with a 'special comment', delivered straight down the camera. He gets very hett-up - I worry for Keith. But Ben Affleck did him so well! Actually, he didn't sound at all like him - he affected a weird quasi-British accent - but his spluttering and outrage were spot on, despite the 'special comment' being aimed at the head of the residents committee in his building who wouldn't allow him to keep his cat, Mrs Precious Perfect, in his flat.

Boiler? What boiler!

No comments: