Thursday, July 24, 2008

SO LONG, SOBRIETY!

NUMBER OF WEEKS I WENT WITHOUT BOOZE: 8.

I've been given a couple more days' TV work by my company back in London this week, which has been really welcome. Morning movies are only fun if you should really be doing something else, or at least have the prospect of something else to do looming on the horizon. So I was a little worried a third day of lounging around might make my brain turn to mush.

But I only had two days to do a large amount of work, so was really busy all day today, trying to get a good start. Things weren't made easier by me taking a bit of a break to go and get some cash out, only to discover that Max had my keys. Thinking I was just dashing out for 5 mins, I got all hot and bothered when I was still wandering around half an hour later, trying to find Max. We'd arranged to meet at Dupont Circle, but he wasn't there when I got there and still hadn't turned up when I'd very slowly got my money. So I started walking in the direction of his office, expecting to bump into him.

When I managed to not only reach his office but actually go all the way up to his desk without bumping into him, I knew something was amiss. So I walked back home, not quite sure what I was planning to do by way of getting in the door, and found him at our rendez-vous place. Turns out he'd got there early and started walking in the direction of our flat, expecting to bump into me, but got all the way home without seeing me.

Thinking about it now, it seems one of those oh-too-chucklesome quirks of fate, but it wasn't fun while it happened - I had way too much to do and it was way too hot for such shenanigans.

I was a little relieved when Jean cancelled our tennis game tonight, as it gave me time to catch up. Then Anne came round to show me a dress she's bought for her sister's wedding in a couple of weeks. So far I've vetted two dresses she's bought, neither of which were particuarly good, but this one was DIVINE. It's a purple silk Vera Wang dress, strapless, knee-length and quite figure hugging, but the material has a nice rouching to it - a bit like my wedding dress - so it gives Anne a lovely sculpted figure, but has room behind the rouching for a bit of a tummy after a fat wedding food. It's just jaw-droppingly amazing (if slightly reminiscent of a Silk Cut ad from the 80s) and the colour suits her pale skin and orange hair really nicely. If I had a job, I'd buy one for me.

Max invited Anne in for a glass of wine and guess what? I had one too! I'd just had such a hectic, rubbish day that for the first time in ages I had a hankering for a nice glass of wine! Or three, as it turned into.

The three of us had fun chats and Anne told us for the first time that her sister's girlfriend is a TV producer who works in New York on my most favourite idea for a TV show ever. Awesome! I must meet her and get her to give me a job.

So it turns out that 200,000 people went to hear Obama speak in Berlin today. I don't fancy my chances getting into that 76,000 capacity football stadium in Denver, now. *sob*

After Anne went home, we watched 'The Daily Show' and 'Colbert Report', as part of our post-West Wing TV rehabilitation programme and both were just outstanding - they've been really excellent lately.

No comments: