Thursday, December 4, 2008

REVOLVING DOORS AT DEVO TOWERS

FAVOURITE NEWS STORY OF THE DAY: perhaps mindful of the phone hoax that Sarah Palin fell foul of, a Republican congresswoman hung up on Obama twice when he rang to congratulate her on her re-election. I particularly love that the way she was persuaded to believe it was really Obama calling was by one of her cronies proving his identity to her by means of in-jokes they share about members of the House.

Dan left this afternoon, but not before having to listen to me leave the following message on countless answerphones in the Pennsylvania, Maryland and New York areas: "hello, I was just wondering if you perform the casting out of evil spirits from possessed members of your congregation and, if so, whether you would be interested in participating in a documentary we are making". What a job!

Turns out that the priestess I found is too 'far out' for the programme, so I have to keep looking. In no way do I perceive conflict between needing to find a) someone who's possessed but isn't mentally ill or on drugs and b) an exorcist who's interesting to watch, willing to take part in a documentary, but isn't 'far out'. Hmph.

Dan also very nearly didn't leave at all, because the SuperShuttle I booked for him never arrived! I felt particularly bad, because I'd taken the mickey out of how early he wanted to get to the airport and how cautious a traveller he is. Turns out he's very sensible, as there was time enough for me to call SuperShuttle, establish that I'd booked the van for tomorrow, not today (I think because I called after midnight last night and asked for a bus 'tomorrow'), and get another one sent over sharpish.

I'm really sad that Dan's gone, because I didn't get to spend enough time with him and it was really fun to have him here a bit like a flatmate. What stinky timing.

I arranged to only work half a day today, so I could go and meet Kate from her NYC train at Union Station. Yippeee! And on my way there, I posted all our Christmas cards - wooohooooo!!!

It was so wonderful to see Kate and within about 5 minutes, it felt totally natural that she should be here. We hung out this afternoon and then went to supper at Madam's Organ, up the road, where we were unfortunately treated to some of the most terrible live music I've ever heard. Still, it was fun to be with Kate and the onion rings were lishy.

No comments: