Max had to work today and I could've embraced the new year, making footprints in its fresh (metaphorical) snow by branching out and doing something dynamic, but instead I spent all day on the sofa, watching a Bones marathon. I'd never seen it before, but really like David Boreanaz from my days as an avid Buffy fan and thought it looked funny from trailers, so gave it my first day of 2009. It's pretty good - sub CSI:NY, but better than CSI: Miami, I'd say.
Of course the first thing I did this morning was check out my new shoes, balk at the awful mess Emily's 'magic solution' had made of them and go straight to the Bandolino website to order some more while they're still on sale.
Max had gone to work, leaving me with instruction that I get Alison to pay for new shoes and I was all full of righteous anger and determination, until she called. She rang and immediately just poured profuse apologies down the phone, explaining that she can't remember anything that happened but that Emily had just told her (with no little glee, I would wager, as she was mightily miffed by Alison's absence from their party) and she's so mortified and embarrassed and got so drunk because the dinner with Brewster's friends was weird and saying that of course she'll buy me new shoes. To which I said...
"Don't worry about it! These things happen at New Year's Eve"
Noooooooooooooo!! What's wrong with me?! I'd just paid for a new pair of shoes myself, it would've been very easy to take Alison up on her entirely unprompted offer and tell her exactly how much I needed (which also really wasn't that much, thanks to the Bandolino sale). But no, I couldn't bring myself to insist. My righteous indignation had deserted me.
So if Friendship Lesson #1 is 'ask a friend any favour because they won't be able to say no', Friendship Lesson #2 must be 'even if you do something terrible to a friend, everything will be ok as long as you pre-empt any anger with profuse apologies'.
What an instructive festive season this has been!

No comments:
Post a Comment