Tuesday, January 13, 2009

WORKING OUT & FALLING DOWN

MOST ANNOYING THING ABOUT THE WEEKEND: we missed Neil Patrick Harris on Saturday Night Live! Nooooooo!!

I don't know if it's because we've been here nearly nine months, or because it's weird to have had Christmas and not seen any of my family or done any of the traditional things I do with my friends each year, but I'm getting really really homesick. I think not having a job has a lot to do with it, too, because I'm less busy so have more time to miss people and things.

However, fortunately there is a lot to distract me, like the prospect of an AMAZING concert at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, ahead of the inauguration!! I can't physically handle how cool it's going to be - the Boss! Beyonce! Denzel! U-freakin'-2! - and how lucky we are that all these amazing things are taking place in our town.

By way of giving something back for all the awesomeness, I've signed up to the Day of Service taking place the day before the inauguration, on Martin Luther King Day. It's an amazing initiative and I'm so excited that Obama is harnessing his great power and influence by getting people to do things that are good for the world. I wanted to deliver food to shut-in people, but all those spots were taken, so I'm going to be spending an hour compiling care packages for people in the military instead. I'm a bit ambivalent about the military, but that was the only option left by the time I came to sign up and I'd rather do something for a cause I'm dubious about than nothing at all.

This morning had its own excitements, as I finally managed to get to a yoga class for the first time this year and LOVE my yoga mat! I feel very proper and am so pleased to've got into it, after years of assuming yoga was a bit lame. Then afterwards, I did another stint on the cross-trainer, this time reading my Vanity Fair using a special magazine holder, as I puffed away! Such a pro...

Today's workout didn't go soooo well... Carlos called at some ungodly, pre-7am hour, to reschedule my penultimate personal training session for 2pm, which led to me not eating lunch beforehand. I wasn't hungry around 12.30ish and any later would've been bad news for stitches and such on the running mill.

So about 15 mins into my workout with Carlos, the inevitable happened and I came over all faint and would've collapsed had I not sat down as soon as I did. It was faintly embarrassing, because I do have a certain bravado thing with Carlos, where I don't want to look like I can't handle his workout (I like that he's a hardcore trainer), but more annoying was that I was paying for an hour's workout and spent about 40 mins of it sitting down, losing vision and hearing and going weirdly cold and clammy but also very hot. A fellow trainer gave me his protein bar, which I sheepishly nibbled on and then, when I was feeling a bit better, I sloped off home. Grrrr.

It's really nice, Molly keeps inviting us to do stuff with her and Joe - I'm so glad they enjoy our company, because we really really like them and would like to be firm friends with them. Unfortunately a lack of money and a busy diary keep getting in the way of us making plans, but we might have a games night with them this weekend, which would be awesome, as I LOVE boardgames and am very excited by the thought of having a pair of games buddies.

We're also lucky because we have the use of Anne's family car for the next couple of months. As you know, Anne's folks live in Manhattan. Although they're allowed to park on their street, they have to move the car every other day, for street cleaning, and it can take up to an hour to find a spot in their neighbourhood. So, while Don is away on his weirdy extended vacation in Mexico, Kristen decided it'd be easier for the car to be down here, parked in our spot and as payment, we get to use it whenever we like! Eeeexcellent.

In other momentous news, Max and I have graduated to the tougher level of mysteries in my one-person Cluedo set, which we sometimes play with of an evening. It's a pretty rock n' roll lifestyle we're leading - I hope you can keep up!

No comments: