Wednesday, May 7, 2008

BAKING DISASTER

CUTEST THING I'VE SEEN THIS WEEK: a crocodile of tiny children walking hand-in-hand in pairs and clutching a rope to keep them together. When a little boy at the back fell over, everyone stopped and cheered him on to stand up, then whooped and clapped when he did. Aaawww.

The past few days have been really hard again and the mizziness of last week has come back. Work has finally been coming a little easier, but it's still really hard and I've been feeling lonely and missing my friends again. Max has been great and really understanding and it's been really nice to talk to Mum and Dad, but I'm still stuck here by myself all day and just really wish I could abandon this work and go a-frolicking again.

It doesn't help that the Queen of Procrastination has turned her attention to planning a surprise weekend for Max's 30th in a couple of weeks, which has been proving really difficult. And I felt ill all Monday (I think my body just realised I'm not an uni anymore, so two late nights in a row with no lie-ins the morning after need to be paid for somewhere down the line...).

The BBC's Washington Bureau chief mentioned an amazing sounding island off Florida at the wedding supper on Saturday, so I spent most of Monday trying to find a good hotel there, because it'd be cool to whisk Maxy off to an incredible beach for the weekend - he's the boy who sits out in cloud, insisting, 'you can tan through this'! After much searching and cross-referencing of reviews, I found a good place to go, but then the flights only leave at 2pm on Sunday, so that'd be a bit of a waste of time. So then I started looking into the Brunswick Islands off North Carolina, which look lovely. But again, it wasn't until after finally finding a good hotel that I discovered that you can't fly direct to NC from DC. Gnaah.

I eventually managed to sort something out today and it's going to be fantastic - I'm very excited and have given Max a nice second hand copy of F Scott Fitzgerald's short stories by way of preparation. Oooh, mysterious.

Another source of sadness was my disastrous first foray into baking since we got here. Max was working late last night, covering the primaries in Indiana and North Carolina, so I decided to make him and his colleagues some brownies to keep them going. But they came out all burnt and weird and not at all tasty, which is a travesty!

But the glumness of the past few days was offset by bumping into Jane (new friend - husband's an FBI agent...) on the street the other day. It suddenly felt like I know DC and that we're really at home here, so that's nice. I'm also comforted by the promising primary results last night and am cautiously excited that it's looking good for Obama (again).

We're gobbling up 'The West Wing' like there's no tomorrow and find ourselves weeping at every single episode. It's so brilliantly cast and terrifically written and I'm getting a lot more out of it now I have a vague understanding of American politics, as well as recognising references to streets in DC. I find it amazing that there's a programme that can be funny and easy to watch, while every episode effectively preventing a debate on some major issue - be it gun control, gays in the military, proportional repsonse or freedom of speech - all in the name of entertainment. Awesome.

However, there may be something even more awesome than that on the horizon. The head of the New York bureau has sent a friend request to Max and me on Facebook. While Max has accepted, I find the whole thing a little weird, because I didn't really talk to him much on Saturday and he's a hardcore bossman, so not really someone I'd like to see the pointless stuff I do on the 'book.

However, I obviously took the opportunity to snoop and check out his page, which had his status as going to see Flight of the Conchords at Madison Square Garden tonight. This is earth-shatteringly exciting, as it means that they're here in the States, so may be touring. So I checked it out on the internet and sure enough, they're playing two gigs in DC this Friday!!! Aaaarrrgggghhh - the thought of seeing them live is just too much to take.

Both shows are sold out, but I've found a couple of highly inflated tickets on a peculiar-looking website that seems to basically be an online ticket tout. So I've ordered them, but will eat my shoes if the tickets turn up. They're due to arrive before noon on Friday, so I'm not letting myself get excited until I have the actual tickets in my hand...

No comments: