Aaaargghh! The tickets worked! The tickets worked! We saw Flight of the Conchords live! Since the 'tickets' were just a printout of a webpage, I was dubious right until the usher took them off us, but they worked! And the seats rocked!
It was soooo exciting to see Jemaine and Bret in real life and Dave the bandana guy from the series did the (not particularly funny) warmup! Man, they were awesome. And it was compleeeetley sold out - I guess because their series is on HBO. They started with 'Inner City Pressure', both playing weird instruments and Bret doing really good/funny falsetto.
They chatted in between songs and I was really relieved that they're more fun on stage than being themselves on the Conchords podcasts. Jemaine was excellent and Bret was way more fun than I expected. He's had a haircut, but still looks hot.
They did nearly all my favourite songs - 'I'm Not Crying', 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room', 'Think About It' (would somebody please remove this cutlery from my knees?!) and 'Robots'. I'm sad there was no 'If That's What You're Into', but they played three amazing new songs including a hilarious one about ex-girlfriends. It was very annoying that the crowd kept shouting out requests for songs (and Murray), but Jemaine and Bret seemed pretty used to it and it was just funny to see them playing strange instruments.
The merchandise was mercifully rubbish, otherwise I'd be writing this bedecked in Conchords t-shirts, caps and key fobs that I'll never wear again (I have a whole drawer of post-gig merchandise bought in the excitement of the moment never to see the light of day again).
Skipping through the streets afterwards, whistling songs we'd just heard and in no way resenting paying more than double what most other people did, we stopped off for some surprisingly tasty Mexican at the fast food place that promises it doesn't use lard, then put in a cameo at drinks for Geoff and Sarah's wedding for those who couldn't make it to New York.
However, I've been so hungover all day and we were both so snoozy/addicted to the West Wing, that we only stayed for a little while - long enough to establish that supper with Geoff and Sarah is off because Geoff had invited us while drunk and forgotten they had other plans - then headed home to gobble up more West Wing.
As we were coming into our building, we bumped into our neighbour Anne - she of the poker chips from a while ago. I introduced her to Max and we got chatting for so long that she invited us into her apartment. She's so, so nice and we really hit it off. She was amused to hear that we'd left a party to come home to watch 'The West Wing' and revealed that she has all the series on DVD, so if we ever need to borrow one, there's a stash but metres from our front door. Woo!
Anne's a post grad archivist student preparing for finals, but seemed amazingly relaxed, despite having big exams to prepare for. Weirdly, the vicar at church appealed for an archivist a couple of weeks ago to help her with some material about the church, so I mentioned this to Anne and she's very excited by the prospect, which is a nice coincidence. Her boyfriend Hugh turned up after a little while and they invited us to stay for Chinese food and wine. But with the West Wing mewing at us from our DVD player, we left them to their evening and skipped off, pleased to've made another nice friend.

No comments:
Post a Comment