I know the gym and I *will* be the closest of friends, but today my old nemesis - chores - got in the way. But it's been a beautifully sunny day, so it wasn't too much of a hardship to wander around, being housewifely in the sunshine.
I also carved another pumpkin this afternoon, as a surprise for Maxy. His name is Walt and he's a little slow...
Tonight we went to our first basketball game, to watch the DC Wizards play the New Jersey Nets at the Verizon Centre, which is a gigantic venue in the middle of Chinatown.
We were meant to go with Jean and Joe, but Joe couldn't make it in the end, so Jean tried
hawking his ticket to the touts outside, all of whom laughed in her face, when they saw where her seats were and, once we got inside, I understood why (see left). I think there were only two rows of seats behind us! And our noses were inches from bleeding...
In the spirit of eating healthily, which is something Max and I are trying to do, I pre-empted the universally greasy food options that the Verizon Centre would have to offer, by bringing with me a box of macrobiotic noodles. How very Gwyneth Paltrow! However, I hadn't counted on the bag search as I entered the venue and was promptly asked by a burly security man to throw the noodles away! I said that I wasn't planning to eat them inside, that I'd picked them up for my husband's packed lunch tomorrow and that I wasn't about to throw $5 worth of food in the bin.
I sense the security man had no more fight left in him, as we reached something of an impass and I eventually said I'd go and pick up my tickets and then go outside and scoff the noodles. He didn't seem to mind too much and, as much as I shouldn't have lied, I felt much better chowing down on macrobiotic goodness in our seats, than Jean and Maxy felt, sucking on succulent chicken nuggets and tasty burgers. Or at least that's what I told myself.
Turns out the Wizards are about as good at basketball as the Nationals are at baseball and we
were so high up that we couldn't really engage with the game anyway, however lame it was. The gigantic players, who we were being told on the big screens were 7 feet high and stuff looked from our vantage point like ants, as did the teeny tiny cheerleaders, but they were fun to watch - I love cheerleaders.
I would've liked to've seen more of the game, even though the Wizards lost, but felt obliged to chat with Jean, seeing as she was flying solo, but that was nice enough, I guess.
We very much enjoyed watching Obama on the Daily Show when we got home. He's just so cool. Earlier tonight, he ran a half hour 'infomercial'(!) on the main networks, clearly laying out his policies through the stories of four American families. I feel a bit annoyed that the Obama campaign pleads for donations every day and then uses the money on something like this, which must've cost loads and is surely a bonus, if you can afford it, but it was pretty moving and certainly confirmed in my mind that an Obama win would be incredible for the country as well as the world.


No comments:
Post a Comment