Friday, October 17, 2008

LAND OF THE NOT-SO-FREE

MOST RIDICULOUS OCTOBER BEHAVIOUR THIS WEEK: I had to put the air con on yesterday! It's been so sunny!

Ok, I really need the dollar to go back to being really weak now, please. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. I thought the American economy was in crisis - doesn't that mean its currency is worth very little in the world?

Apparently not. Or at least if it does, then the pound is much bigger trouble. When we got here, it was 1.98 dollars to the pound, hence our absurd amount of eating out, seeing two movies in a day, waltzing off on weekend trips and generally never wanting to go back to the UK so long as I could spend £100 at the Gap outlet store in return for an entirely new wardrobe. Times were good.

Now, just as my regular work dries up, the dollar is 1.42 to the pound!! So whereas before, the £1000 we get paid into our Bank of America account every month used to equate to nearly $2000, we're now only getting $1500 or so. Uncool.

Not a lot has happened this week, other than me finishing off my TV work (that's the end of my five week contract) and the last presidential debate, on Wednesday. It was nice to get Max at home for the morning again, and then I walked him to work as it was freakishly sunny that day.

I found the debate enormously tense, with McCain and Obama sitting right in each other's faces, and got really frustrated that Obama just sat there and took McCain's slurs, without really standing up for himself. Sometimes I want him to unleash the full extent of his intelligence and articulation in banging McCain to rights for the lies that he tells about him.

Anyway, seems like taking the high road does work after all, as Obama is unanimously considered to've won this debate, giving him a clean sweep against McCain. Ha.

Also on Wednesday, I read about this awesome tool from Google, which helps prevent you from sending emails when you're drunk, by making you undertake a simple arithmetic test if you try to send an email after a certain time of night. Brilliant!

It was bliss to have the day off today and catch up on emails and things. I even treated myself to an afternoon DVD - something I've hardly done, despite it being top of my list of things to do while having no job to go to - and watched 'Red Eye'. I had to see it during the day because Max said he was too frightened to watch it, but in fact it wasn't that scary. Rachel McAdams is great - I wish she made more films.

Then tonight we made dinner here for Max's colleague John and his wife Susie and they bought gorgeous Louis along, too. I hadn't met John before, but had heard lots about him from Max, cos they used to work together before Max joined the news website, so it was good to put a face to the name and he seems really nice. I still don't get hugely warm vibes from Susie, but really like her and would like to be friends and of course love little Louis. Awwwww.

No comments: