Sunday, October 19, 2008

MONU-MENTAL

It was such a beautifully stunning day when I got home from church that we decided to make a second attempt at walking to the Old Post Office building, to look at the view from the top.

The weather was gorgeous and it was lovely to wander through the DC streets in the sunny sunshine.

The view from the top of the Post Office was pretty good and really made me realise just how small DC is.

the FBI (in the foreground, on the left) and Capitol

As it was such a lovely day, we walked from the Post Office to the Mall, then along to the Washington Monument and on to the Lincoln Memorial. It was so much fun to wander around, taking photos, because everything looked gorgeous in the autumn sunshine.

the Lincoln Memorial, reminding me of stately homes from Jane Austen novels

the Washington Monument and Capitol

I was particularly excited to see the Korean Memorial, which I hadn't seen before, and found enormously moving - quite the best war memorial I've ever seen, for evoking the war it commemorates.

The Korean War Memorial

As the sun went down, we decided to head to the cinema, to see what was on and arrived just in time for 'Rachel Getting Married', which we've both been really wanting to see. Much has been made of Anne Hathaway's amazing, against-type performance as the recovering drug addict who sabotages her sister's wedding with her inadvertently self-obsessed ways, but I wasn't blown away by her or the movie. I figure you put dark eyeliner on anyone and get them to play someone coming out of rehab, they're going to be kind of the same as how Anne Hathaway played it. And the whole film was just so thrilled with its bohemian aesthetic that the prolonged party scenes felt really self-indulgent.

Rosemarie DeWitt was brilliant as Rachel and their father was played by an amazing actor, who Max has since found out is a Tony-award winning stage actor called Bill Irwin, who trained as a clown and was the first person to be awarded a five-year McArthur Fellowship, aka the Genius award, which is a huge money prize given to people who are just exceptional - you don't apply for it or anything. Cool.

No comments: