Mr & Mrs Deveson are 2 today! Happy anniversary, us.
It's been boiling hot today, so I wish I had managed to get Max's cotton-y (as befits year #2) gifts sooner than this morning, when I trawled many shops and the metro in sweltering heat. Fortunately I got him some excellent pressies and then met him for lunch in Dupont Circle.
I had great plans this afternoon for doing many busy things, but my morning of shopping in great heat had taken it out of me, and I found myself getting sucked into watching the movie 'Step Up' on TV. It's not worth much of a mention (but Channing Tatum is a surprisingly good dancer and the plot is really weak, even for a movie about street dancing), but made for an uncharacteristically relaxing afternoon - I quite thought more days would be spent like this here!
Maxy was home betimes for presents and gave me a box wrapped in cotton paper and a ribbon (all done by hi
m!), with some Kate Spade thank you notes inside and a beautiful big green Kate Spade bangle, too. Turns out he dashed to the Kate Spade shop in Georgetown during lunch yesterday. What an excellent fellow! I'm also very excited by the box it all came in, which will be perfect for housing my all-too expanding stationery collection. I gave him a short-sleeved linen shirt and a pair of really nice shorts from Gap, along with a kickass epaulet-y shirt from Urban Outfitters which makes him look even more handsome than usual:
However, such casual threads wouldn't do for the fancy dinner we had planned, so we both changed into our glad rags (Max busting out the Italian suit again) and headed down to Dupont. Just as we left the house, it started to rain and - having felt sorry for the people beneath the angry red for lightning across the bay from Tilghman Island at the weekend - we learned what it was to *be* those people, as hardcore fork lightning started right about our heads. Torrential rain started shortly afterwards, so we jumped in a cab and emerged at Obelisk almost intact.
Let me rewind a few months. Soon after we arrived here in DC, we received a welcome gift from our friends Tom and Nina. They sent us an exceedingly generous voucher for supper at Obelisk, a restaurant we'd never heard of before but, on closer inspection of the guidebook, transpired not only to be just down the road from us in Dupont, but unanimously considered one of the best restaurants in the city. What a great gift! So we saved it up for a special occasion, hence our visit this evening.
It's a really little restaurant, with only about 30 covers and doesn't look at all fancy. Almost more like a casual canteen. But the food and service were amazing and we had a great evening. The menus are hand-written and you can only have a set menu of 5 courses. There are only two waitresses and they know the menu inside and out, so they explain it in great detail then shower you with seemingly endless antipasti, like stuffed artichokes, melt-in-your-mouth mozzarella, tasty bruschetta and even 'headcheese'. Max warned me that this was likely to be jellied brains, so I steered clear.
The subsequent four courses (starter, main, cheese, dessert) were all delicious and very fancy, though I was worried I wouldn't make it to the end, so full was I after course #2. A far more worrying development was that we had a glass of champagne each at the beginning of the meal - my first drop of alcohol since our party - and I didn't like it! Not the champagne - the mere drinking of alcohol! What has happened to me? This is a grave concern.


1 comment:
Hmm, headcheese. Next time you come up you are coming to Resto with us and you're having the cow's head sandwiches. Because they are yummy... although brains. hmm. gross. not enough to stop me eating them. but still. Congrats!
Post a Comment