Thursday, June 26, 2008

LAUNDRY, BAKING & DRESSES

FAVOURITE NEW PASTIME: webchats with my friends. I had another one this afternoon, with my friend Emma, and it was so lovely to see her - I could stay here for ages as long as my nearest and dearest have webcams!

I found another good tennis partner last night and finally got to play on the courts right opposite our house, rather than having to cycle to farflung corners of the city. Her name is Alexis and - like Caroline - her sister is moving to the UK after getting married. Also like Caroline, she's really really good. There's no way I'll be able to keep up with her in a few weeks, but last night was the first time she's played since last year, so we had a good knockabout. She's about 30 and works in something to do with pharmaceutical development in developing countries or something and is really friendly. Max was swimming while we were playing, but popped by on his way home and was a very effective (if static) ballboy, while reading his book.

It was the second time I'd seen him that day, because we'd had a slight misunderstanding over email in the morning and I got a bit sad, but was being silly, so didn't make a big thing of it. I just sat on the sofa feeling sorry for myself. But then who should walk through the door not 15 mins later, but Maxy! He'd detected that I was blue and had rushed home for home dinners! He's amazing. We had lunch together and then I walked him back to the office and everything was lovely again. *grin*

Today I've lived the life of a 50s housewife. I did lots of laundry, then baked some brownies (a triumph - the baking mojo is back!) and, while Max was out with Oliver from the Guardian, I went to Alison and Emily's house (with said brownies) for a dress-buying party!

Their apartment is right by Eastern Market, which is a bit like Spitalfields, and Alison had come across a dress stall a while ago where she liked eeeeverything. So she got chatting to the lady running the stall and found out that she does home visits, where she brings a selection of dresses to your home and you have people over to buy them and get a mini-commission.

So there were 8-10 girls dashing up and downstairs, trying on these dresses and having to make do with the M&Ms and cheese that Alison had dished up for supper, because the stallowner said people don't buy stuff if you lay on too much food and drink.

It was quite fun and I met some more nice friends of Alison's, most of whom seem to be in the process of buying foreclosure houses from banks. It was the first real sign of the famed credit crunch that I've experienced here. Leanna was there, which was great and she and Patrick find out tomorrow whether their offer has been accepted on a house in Virginia. Pregnant and house-buying - it's all go for them! (Leanna's due on 12 Feb.)

I bought two pretty dresses, one of which I was sure Max wouldn't like and the other of which is kiiiind of identical to a strapless black tea-dress I already own, but is more structured and better made, so I managed to justify it to myself. Plus, they were really really cheap and I *have* been working recently, so it's not toooo naughty.

Emily's friend Katie gave me a ride home, which I was really grateful for because they live on the other side of town from us and it was the most humid I've ever known it to be when we emerged from the party. Seriously, it was like walking out of the house into a big hot blanket at 9.30pm. Katie's really nice - I've seen her at a couple of parties, but never really talked to her. Unfortunately she's moving to Denver forever in two weeks, so I can't get attached. Such is the transience of DC. *sigh*

Max was humorously tipsy after his night with Oliver when I got home and surprised me by saying he liked both dresses when I did a little fashion show for him. Though it might've been the drink talking...

No comments: