Saturday, June 21, 2008

RATTY RAT

MOST UNLIKELY STATEMENT FROM ME TODAY: I prefer DC to New York! But ONLY when it comes to a city to wander around. The streets and houses are nicer and walks are always pretty.

Happy birthday, Dan and Jilly!

After a lazy morning of 'The West Wing' and mooching around the flat, we walked into Georgetown in blistering hot sunshine to do some shopping and grab a movie and dinner. I love that we can do that from our flat.

The walk was really pretty, around the 'backstreets' of Georgetown (I hasten to add that these aren't backstreets like the mean streets of Philly or anything - they're pretty, tree-lined avenues of nice houses where people like JFK and Jackie lived).

The first shop we came across was Gap, and I had that nice feeling going in that I would definitely be emerging with some purchases. But unfortunately everything I tried on looked horrible! This did not bode well for the rest of the afternoon and I kind of gave up looking for nice things after visits to various places including Banana Republic (Maxy got some nice stuff), Zara (so confusing!), Reiss (so expensive!), Bandolino (such pretty shoes!), Diesel (I swear no-one is skinny enough to fit into their clothes), Urban Outfitters (you know something's wrong when I can't find anything there) and H&M (admittedly I did get a few things there, but not the strappy sundress I so desperately need).

Max managed to get some really nice shirts, so all was not lost as we headed down to the cinema to see 'Get Smart'. We both really really liked the movie - it was funneeee. Steve Carrell is great and who knew that The Rock could be funny?!

Despite it constituting two visits in as many days, I took Maxy to Leopold's for supper, because I wanted him to try their Wienerschnitzel - his very favourite food of all time. He assures me it wasn't as nice as his Mum's or the ones I make him, but we had a really tasty supper nonetheless.

On our way home, we were walking along a really narrow pavement near Dupont Circle, when I became aware of a commotion in the small group of people ahead of us. When I looked down, I saw a massive rat running towards the bear toes of mine and Max's flipflopped feet!

All dexterity and coordination abandoned me as I leapt onto Max, clamping myself to him like a koala! Unfortunately Maxy, who was carrying our shopping bags and I don't think had seen the rat, wasn't prepared for this incoming hefty missile and tumbled flailing to the ground, pleading, "what are you trying to do to me?!". It was hilaaarious. Or so the group of people ahead of us thought as we lay in a crumpled heap across the pavement, with the rat long-gone.

Unfortunately in breaking my weighty fall, Max hurt his big toe. I worry that he'll forever have a reminder of Rat Gate and in years to come, when it twinges as he bends down to pick something up, he'll remember my far-from-finest hour.

No comments: